DIY Easter basket craft for kids
Why do we love Easter so much?
Hmmm, how about chocolate, jelly beans, those little marshmallow chicks, egg hunts, lamb (or ham depending on your family), and a long weekend to relax and eat more chocolate!
If you want to make this Easter the best one yet, spend a little quality time at home making mini-Easter baskets with your kids at home.
Perfect to use as Easter decorations around the house. They also make colourful containers to keep chocolates and jelly beans handy for snacking over the holiday!
You can combine this activity with our Easter bunny craft. It will take about 30 minutes to complete both activities from start to finish.
Let’s get started!
Easter basket craft for kids
Start to finish time: 15 minutes
Make mini-Easter egg baskets! Paint with different colours and customise with patterns and designs.
Decide how many Easter baskets you want to make! Prepare all materials before sitting down with your child to do the activity. Older children can help with the prep work.
What you need:
- Cardboard egg carton
- Paint and paintbrushes
- Clothes pin / peg
- Black marker
- White glue or stapler (optional)
- Pencil, eraser and ruler
Step 1: Take out your supplies
- Prepare your work area
- Take out your paints and paint tray
- Lay down some newspaper and have a damp cloth handy for easy clean-up!
Step 2: Cut out your Easter basket materials
- Cut 1 egg carton cup for each Easter basket. Trim an rough edges so the edges are smooth
- Cut 2 pieces of egg carton 3cm wide
- Cut strips of paper 1cm wide and 12cm long for each basket handle
Step 3: Paint your Easter basket
- Hold the cup with the clothes peg and paint the inside and outside of the cup.
- Turn upside down on the newspaper and let dry.
- Paint your baskets different colours for fun!
Step 4: Add handles to your Easter baskets
- Put 2 dots of glue on the inside of each cup to attach the handle.
- Pinch and hold the strips of paper against the glue for at least 30 seconds.
- Let dry. (Can’t wait any longer? Staple the handle to the cup!)
Step 5: Customize your Easter baskets
- Decorate with patterns using a marker or paint with ear buds.
- Add decorative grass of
Step 6: Fill with Easter chocolates and jelly beans!
The Easter basket craft for kids activity goes great when combined with another of our fun Easter crafts Easter bunny craft for kids.
The two activities can be done together so your kids remain active while the paint is drying. The total time for both activities will be around 30 minutes from start to finish.
If you enjoy doing art and craft activities at home with your child why not try out ActivityBox for a month or two with a monthly subscription!
We provide you easy to follow instructions and all the materials you need each month based on a new theme your child will love.
~ Miss Julie
(This activity appeared as a featured article in SassyMama)