When Sassy Mama asked if ActivityBox could help fellow Mamas beat the rainy day blues and keep kids entertained with indoor arts & craft activities we got straight on it!
7 Rainy Day Activities for kids in Hong Kong to keep them busy for hours!
Spongy 3D puffy paint? Yes, please! Make your own paint colours and create your artwork on a paper plate. Pop it in the microwave and watch as it magically puffs up!
Then pretend you are a pirate and need to hide your treasure on a desert island. Make a map so you can find your loot when you return from your voyage!
Can you turn a block of ice into art? It’s easy if you know how! Just add a little salt and food colouring and sit back and watch your creation unfold.
Check out these awesome, inventive indoor rainy day (heck, they’re great for sunny days too!) activities from ActivityBox.– Sassy Mama
We’ve included 2 of our favourites below so you can get started right away!
Microwave Puffy Paint
Make your own paint colours and create your artwork on a paper plate. Pop it in the microwave and watch as it magically puffs up! This is one of our favourite rainy day activities for kids in Hong Kong that’s not too messy!
- 1 cup flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 cup water
- Food colouring
- Mixing bowl
- Small bowls or cups
- Spoon or whisk
- Small ziplock bags
- Mix together 1 cup flour, 1 tsp salt and 1 cup of water in a mixing bowl. Mix well so that the flour mixture is smooth and clump free.
- Take out a cup or small bowl for each colour of paint you want to make.
- Divide your flour mixture between your bowls.
- Add a different food colouring to each bowl and mix well.
- Take out your paper plates.
- Finally, transfer your puffy paint mixture into ziplock bags and make a small cut in the corner of each bag.
- Gently squeeze out the paint from your bag. Create images or patterns on your plates with the different colour paint.
- Place the plate in the microwave and microwave on high for about 30 seconds. If the paint is not cooked yet pop it back in for 10 seconds.
- Remove the plate and let the paint cool.
- What happened to the paint? Did it puff up? What does it feel like?
- Repeat the steps to make more puffy paint art!
Let’s Make a Treasure Map!
Ahoy Matey! Pretend you are a pirate and need to hide your treasure on a desert island. Make a map so you can find your loot when you return from your voyage! This is one of those rainy day activities for kids in Hong Kong that they can use outdoors when the sun comes out!
- A4 Paper
- Black pen
- Tea bag or coffee
- Draw an island shape on your paper with the pencil.
- Now draw obstacles you need to cross in your path to your treasure (falling coconuts, a river to cross, a dark cave to go through!)
- Make dashes to mark the path to your buried treasure!
- Write “start” to mark where to begin and draw a treasure chest or X to “mark the spot” where you buried your treasure.
- Go over your pencil lines with the black pen.
- Colour in your map and obstacles with crayons.
- Make your map look old by “painting” it with cold tea or coffee and then gently crumple it up into a ball. Set aside to dry.
- When the paper is dry gently unfold it and smooth it out. Tear off pieces around the edges of the page to make it look even older!
You can find all 7 Rainy Day Activities for kids in Hong Kong busy for hours 7 indoor arts & crafts activities we created on the Sassymama website.
Want an easy way to always be ready with rainy day activities for kids at home? Subscribe to ActivityBox and have 4 art and craft activities with step-by-step instructions and all the materials you need conveniently delivered to your home in Hong Kong every month.
Until next time,